Monday, February 8, 2010

A Selfless Life



A selfless life. This is what I strive for. I'll be honest, I haven't been doing so well. This semester is tough--really tough. Accounting and Microeconomics are not my forte and will never be my forte. I have become so self centered around my own misery and I am embarrassed to admit it.

God has slowly been changing my heart over the past year and I am finally starting to acknowledge it. I have already informed you that I have a strong passion for the empowerment of women. Don't misunderstand me- when I say empowerment I mean self esteem and dignity. I don't consider myself to be a radical feminist by any means.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. I spend so much time worrying about what I don't have (or what I do have that makes me unhappy). I think we feel closest to God when we are serving others and doing the work he intended for us to do.

I met with a wonderful woman from the Lincoln Crisis Pregnancy Center and she is going to allow me to volunteer there for the semester. I have to really search my heart and make sure that I'm not doing this for my own benefit. I don't want to feel better about myself, I want to quit thinking about myself for a while.

J.

2 comments:

Samantha Renée said...

Isn't that the hard thing about volunteer work? I went on a service-learning trip this summer, which made me feel slightly better about the "selfish" part of serving since we were also there to learn. I can definitely relate.

Jesus didn't have a resume to spruce up. He just loved people =/

Kelsi said...

Beautiful thoughts, and such a good reminder. I want to be selfless more than anything, but it's so hard to remember to put others first. And it's even more hard to remember to put others first for THEIR good, and not for your own.

"I don't want to feel better about myself. I want to quit thinking about myself for a while."
This is so, so hard to do. I'm constantly tempted to do things for others just to make myself look better or to make myself feel more accomplished. The Lord has to constantly remind me to just forget about myself for a while.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com