Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fighting the Consumer-Driven World


I survived a day without buying a single thing.
It really isn't that hard and I'm sure I do it many days without patting myself on the back. However, it was quite refreshing.

I don't do this just to save money (though it's nice).
I am fighting one of America's biggest hidden problems: consumerism.
I'm the first to admit that, at times, I buy into this lie that having something is going to make me feel better. What's sad is that sometimes it does. Does retail therapy sound familiar? It's a bigger "disease" than I think we are willing to acknowledge.

Obviously we can't go through life without having to make purchases. Many purchases are necessary. But I had to force myself to stop and ask if that new dress I bought was more than material, because a lot of times it wasn't. It was security. And I don't want security in materials. I want security in one thing--Christ.

Since one day is too easy, I decided in March I am going to try going one week. I'd like to think of it as a cleansing period.

For the year of 2010, I have decided to let go of my desire to acquire.

J.

2 comments:

kels said...

I really like this. its probably a lot harder than it sounds. i dont remember the last day that i didnt use my debit or n card at least once! i may have to try this in the near future.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

impressive indeed, cheers dear!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com