Monday, August 9, 2010

Practical Theology for Women


I finally finished The Ragamuffin Gospel (took about all summer). I've been a slacker in the reading department this summer but it was a great book nonetheless. Mr. Manning did a fabulous job of explaining what a ragamuffin is, why I am one, and how beautiful it is that it doesn't matter to God.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it....

Anyway, on to the next book: Practical Theology for Women by Wendy Horger Alsup. I have absolutely no idea how I found out about this book. However, I was thrilled when I found out that she is a part of Mars Hill church (same church as Mark Driscoll) and she is writing under the same publisher as he.

Needless to say I have high expectations.

When it comes to christian theology I am a rookie to the max.
I didn't grow up in a christian school (it has it's positives and negatives) and I didn't study the Bible growing up. As a matter of fact I thought the Bible was dull and boring and groaned whenever my mom would tell me it held all the answers.

She was right.

Dang it, mom.

I have a strong desire to attempt the understanding of who God is. This is impossible, of course, because he is greater than my mind can imagine. But it IS possible to study Him and what He is. Wendy makes a good point in the book that many Christians think they are beneath the understanding of christian theology--they leave it up to the pastors to study and hold onto a verse or two to get them through the week.

I'm guilty of this.

It never occurred to me that I, too, needed to have a better understanding of christian theology.

I'm only into the first few chapters, but Mrs. Alsup already explains that by studying God and His word, you learn to become a better wife, friend, sister, mother (won't need that one for a while...). So in a way I'm killing two birds with one stone!!
1. Reading a book
2. Learning how to become a killer wife (in a way)

Pick it up! (Or order it) I'd love to have someone to study it with.

Any good books lately?
J.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to start reading eat,love,pray. Hopefully I will be able to make it through it before I give in and see the movie first. We will see! I am always up for some soul searching books :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com