Sunday, August 29, 2010

Change Is Hard


I have been having some technical difficulties as of late (dog spilt cup of water on computer) but the good ol' mac is up and running again so here we are...

I have been doing this bible study by Beth Moore on the book of Esther.
The only knowledge I had of Esther was from the Veggie Tales movie so needless to say I was a beginner. I strongly encourage any female to consider picking up this book.
I would have never thought that a story like this could teach me so much about my own life.

The last lesson was on selfishness and conceit. It was hard to read because I hate to associate myself with those words, but it was necessary.
I won't go into detail because I couldn't do it justice, but the main message was "we don't have to think highly of ourselves to think obsessively of ourselves."

Obsessed.
That word leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I hate to think that I tend to be obsessed with myself. But if I'm honest, I have to admit that I can be.
Thankfully I have some bible verses to set me straight and keep me grounded...

"For by grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."
Romans 12:3

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourself. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."
Philippians 2:3-4

Humility. This is what I need.
Am I the only one convicted of this or can I get an amen?

J.

2 comments:

where the hart is said...

I was actually going to say "amen" before I read that last line :) I use that Romans verse quite often as a reminder. When I realize how much I consider myself before others it makes me want to vom.
I should look into this study.

A Simple Homemaker said...

dito!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com