Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fall Essentials

Though we have been technically celebrating the fall season since September, I wanted to dedicate a blog to the way we welcome the new season. I used to hate fall. To me, it meant school beginning, summer ending, and the dreaded football games. Not to mention the fact that winter is right around the corner. However, as I've grown (and am no longer a student) I've come to love this season and all of the blessings it brings. One of them being cooler weather! I love, love, love the heat but my pregnancy and this summer's heat was just getting to be too much so the day I could turn off my AC and open the windows was a happy one!

I created a few unintentional traditions for our family throughout the past couple of years. One of the most important ones being the Bath and Body Works fall candles. My obsession with them is a little unhealthy. I'm very picky when it comes to candles but these few will forever be my favorite and I hope that as my children get older they will associate these scents with our home and the fall season. Every September I wait for the 2 for $20 sale and stock up on the Leaves and Nutmeg & Spice candles. I also tried the Pumpkin Caramel Latte candle and will be adding that to the favorites. 

There's no need to ramble about my love for fall fashion. Chunky sweaters, boots, leggings. I love it all. I also love sporting the classic darker nail polishes this time of year.

This "tradition" is a dangerous one. Roasted peanuts and candy corn. Once you start you can't stop. 

One of the most essential pieces to welcoming the fall is jazz music. I have great memories of running errands on Saturday mornings in Lincoln with the windows cracked and big band music playing on the radio. Truman also takes me to pick out an old record each year for my birthday. Some of my favorites are Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Billie Holiday, Nat King Cole, and of course Frank Sinatra. I don't know what it is, but there is something about a cool morning with jazz that makes it so rich. Try it, I dare you. 

Aside from jazz, James Taylor's "October Road" is an absolute must and a tradition I will forever hold dear to my heart. One of my favorite childhood memories is of my dad playing that album through his old sound system in the fall. 

Along with classic music, I also crave watching classic movies during this time of season. When Harry Met Sally being one of them. Maybe it's the autumn-inspire cover that gets me in the mood, but I watch it every fall! I think what I love most is Truman always pretends that he doesn't want to watch it, but he ends up laughing more than I do through the whole thing ;)

Last but not least, cheesy potato soup. This is one of my favorite recipes and it's the first soup I make of the season. 
You can find the recipe here.

Chalk it up to my need for organization, but traditions are really important to me. What I love so much about them is that half of the time they are completely unintentional. Most importantly, they create comfort and warmth in your home. I am so excited to continue traditions with my family and to also create new ones as we grow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com