Thursday, September 13, 2012

Changing Table

I had a heck of a time finding a changing table that was reasonably priced and not falling apart. Of course I wanted to find something that fit the design of the nursery, but I was to the point where I didn't even care and just wanted something to lay my babe on. Thankfully I found a dresser at an antique store in Lincoln called Cool and Collected. It was very reasonably priced and all of the drawers worked. The only problem was that it was hideous...
I found a few different blogs with tutorials on how to spray paint furniture. I had never done it before, but it seemed easier than regular painting...I was wrong. Granted, it might have been easier if I would have done it in a well ventilated garage, but I did it outside on a fairly windy day. Woops. 
The process is simple, mine just took a while since it was a large piece of furniture. 
1. Prime with Kilz Original Primer (in spray paint form)
-I was in too big of a hurry and didn't read the directions enough to realize that the Kilz creates a very grainy texture so it's best to sand after using.
2. Paint 2-3 coats of Krylon Spray Paint 
-I used Almond in a Satin finish but I really wish I would have used the Glossy finish
3. Coat with Miniwax Polycrylic protective finish (in spray paint form)
-This is supposed to protect the furniture and keep it from smelling

***Buy everything at Wal-Mart. We first went to Ace Hardware and Hobby Lobby and all of the products ended up being cheaper at Wal-Mart.


Beans had to steak out her territory on the ottoman.
Overall, I'm pleased with the outcome.
I'd like to eventually get rid of the grainy texture, if possible, so if someone has a suggestion that will work let me know. I also notice that the nursery has a faint smell of the paint so I need to figure out how to get rid of that, as well. 

Here's to checking off one more thing on my list!
J.

1 comments:

A Simple Homemaker said...

Looks great-and so much storage! :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com