Monday, October 4, 2010

Calm My Anxious Heart



I feel like I blog a ton about being content so I told myself after my last blog that I would change subjects for a while...but then I started my new book. So, if you're tired of hearing me blab about how I'm searching for the secret of contentment, then stop here.

I knew this book would speak deeply to me from the title alone. "Anxious" is my middle name.
I'm a worry wart and a control freak--a recipe for disaster.
It's probably my biggest struggle and I was excited to see what Mrs. Linda Dillow had to say.

I was a few pages in and already blown away.
She really focuses her writing around a few verses in Philippians. One verse in particular basically jumped off the page and hit me in the forehead: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." In other words, dwell on the positive.
Seems pretty simple. It isn't, but gosh darn it I'm sure going to try.

Linda shared a story about a friend she knew who was a missionary. She lived by these rules:

(1) Never allow yourself to complain- not even about the weather
(2) Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else
(3) Never compare your lot with others
(4) Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise
(5) Never dwell on tomorrow- remember that is God's, not ours

I have decided to adopt these rules as my own and I'm excited to see the outcome.

Cheers, J.


1 comments:

A Simple Homemaker said...

this has made me want to leave for work early so i can go buy this book. it already sounds so convicting in the greatest way possible

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com