Monday, May 17, 2010

Humility


Truman and I have been listening to sermons given by Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church. The podcasts are free to download on itunes and I seriously recommend that you check them out. Driscoll has such a gift for teaching the bible. He's, at times, brutally honest about the selfishness of humanity, but he speaks truth (obviously because the bible IS truth).

As Truman and I get closer to starting a life together, I feel it is most important that I continue to grow in Christ as a godly woman. The desire to be a godly human being has never been so strong. One thing I took away from the last sermon I listened to was that to be godly is to be self-less. And in this world, that is not an easy thing--it's all about OUR wants, OUR needs, OUR careers, OUR appearance, OUR happiness. I am most definitely convicted of this way of thinking.

Philippians 2: 1-4 says this:
"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

That's some powerful stuff, eh?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com