Sunday, June 20, 2010

Saved By Grace


About half a year ago, I started the book "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. I read the first chapter and was in love with the concept (and truth). This was about the same time I was inspired to create a blog (hence the name "Notes From a Ragamuffin"). School started and I got busy...then Truman stole it from me. So here I am starting over from the beginning--determined to finish this time.

I haven't been able to put it down.

The book is too powerful and brilliant for me to even try and put it in my own words so I thought I'd just share a few passages.

"In essence, there is only one thing God asks of us- that we be men and women of prayer, people who live close to God, people for whom God is everything and for whom God is enough. That is the root of peace. We have that peace when the gracious God is all we seek. When we start seeking something besides Him, we lose it... That is his call to us- simply to be people who are content to live close to him and to renew the kind of life in which the closeness is felt and experienced."

"The kingdom belongs to people who aren't trying to look good or impress anybody, even themselves. They are not plotting how then can call attention to themselves, worrying about how their actions will be interpreted or wondering if they will get gold stars for their behavior."

I have been convicted very often in this book and I'm only on the 4th chapter. It is so important to be reminded that everything we enjoy on this earth is from God. We are so undeserving, but he willingly shares it with us anyway. That's how great He is.
I strongly recommend picking it up this summer.

J.

1 comments:

rutheah rodehorst said...

thanks for this post...I've been trying to find something good to read...now I know what book to choose. :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com