Friday, January 31, 2014

Juniper Grace // Birth Story pt. 1

Pardon my language, but there is something about giving birth a second time that makes you feel like a total badass. It confirms that the first time wasn't just a fluke. You are, in fact, a strong woman with the ability to birth a human being...and survive!! Because before June, I truly doubted whether or not I was tough enough to do this again. I am so happy to report that bringing her into the world was a better experience than I could have hoped for and I am so, so grateful for it. I spare few details in a birth story because I think the process of giving life is wonderful and needs no censorship. However, if you're not into that sort of thing, this is your warning :) 
This is how our sweet, sleepy, screechy Juniper Grace entered the world and bettered our family...

On Thursday morning, I woke up with a heavy heart. There were no cramps, no contractions, no sign of a mucous plug. I was officially carrying June longer than I had carried Penny and I was SO certain all throughout my pregnancy that I would go early again. Fears that I would be overdue started to creep in. I was tired, uncomfortable, and everything was ready for her. Playing the waiting game was torture and that morning, specifically, I lost it. As Truman left for work I was crying in frustration (he was really sweet and offered to take the day off, but an emotional wife isn't a legitimate reason to do so). I spent the day at home with Penny decorating the house for Valentine's Day in an effort to get my mind off of things. I prayed frequently that the Lord would give me patience and peace about His timing...and He did. 

I went to bed that night with pretty frequent and painful braxton hicks. A tiny part of me thought "this might be something" but I had been over analyzing everything for weeks that I was tired of being disappointed. I fell asleep around midnight and woke up at 2am with a terribly strong back cramp. It felt like my lower back was on fire. I tried to sleep through it, but couldn't so I sat up to see if it would go away. It didn't. Penny's labor started with such mild cramps that I wasn't anticipating this intensity right away, but I knew this was something. I decided to text my mom to let her know that I was in the beginning stages of labor. My heart was racing in excitement/panic and I was still drowsy from waking up. I had to retype the text message three times and this was STILL what I could come up with...I've never been a morning person.
I woke Truman up to let him know that I was going to get up and see how quickly they were coming. He went back to sleep, knowing we potentially had a long day ahead of us and I contacted friends and family. For the next few hours, I paced our quiet house packing a bag, taking a shower (I even put on makeup thinking "maybe I'll actually look decent in labor pictures!" Ha.) All the while stopping every 7 minutes or so to endure a contraction. I was surprised that they were coming so quickly and so powerfully. 

My mom showed up around 4am and by that time I was already feeling very tired. I wanted so badly to try and sleep but the contractions were so intense that I wouldn't be able to. She massaged my legs and feet, trying to help me to relax. Penny woke up at 5am, wanting to help :)

Thinking we weren't to far away from heading to the hospital, I told my sister to head up so she could be around to watch Penny/take pictures of the delivery. The second she texted me that they were on their way my contractions started to slow in frequency and duration. I was a little discouraged, hoping this wasn't going to be false labor. I was also worried that she was going to drive all the way up here (missing class) for no reason. Thankfully they picked up an hour later. At about 6am, the house was quiet again. Kali, her husband, Truman, and I were all asleep (or trying to sleep) on the living room floor while Penny and my mom were sleeping in other rooms. I would wake Truman every 6 or 7 minutes and he would rub my lower back as I winced in pain and grabbed the carpet. 

As the sun rose, Kali made cinnamon rolls and everyone slowly started to wake up, feeling slightly more prepared for the long day ahead of us. I spent most of the following hours leaning over a chair while my mom rubbed peppermint oil on my back through contractions. Penny, of course, had to be part of the action so she would come over every now and then to help rub my back (or to ask for a back rub herself). Around 10am my contractions were coming 5-7 minutes apart and lasting 1 to 1:20 minutes. They were heavy waves of fiery pain in my lower back and all I could do was breathe (occasionally moan) and whisper He is strong over and over. My mom and Truman kept bugging me to call the midwife, but my instructions were to wait until contractions were 4 minutes apart. I didn't want to get to the hospital too early. However, after lots of persuasion, I decided to call and at least inform them of where I was in the process. They gave us the "go" and told us to come in so I could be checked. The thought of driving 20 minutes across town in the freezing cold made me miserable, but I knew it was the next step in meeting our babe. 

So off we went! I clenched the side of the car through each contraction and explained how worried I was that I wouldn't be dilated. I sat in the waiting room trying to look as composed as possible in front of all the other women. But honestly, how composed can one look in yoga pants and UGG boots? (Don't judge me.) When we were finally called to a room, the midwife listened for a heartbeat and checked for dilation. As always, it hurt like hell and she couldn't even feel the tip of my cervix. I got tears in my eyes remembering all too well the same news we got with Penny. She told me not to worry and that I should go to the mall down the street and walk around.... what? I loved this midwife, but I wanted to put my palm to her face. I was in SO much pain and I did not want to venture out into the cold and walk around. I could barely walk from the car to the office! She said if I wanted, she could check one more time and try to feel all the way back to my cervix. I truly contemplated saying no (SO glad I didn't). Through a few tears and the squeezing of Truman's hand,  she said very casually "oh! Okay, you're 5 centimeters." Sweet relief. Because I wanted an epidural, she suggested that we head up to labor and delivery to get things started. Everything felt confirmed. It was officially time to meet our baby girl. As the midwife walked out of the room she said you're having a baby today!" My heart was full. be continued!


Post a Comment


Blog Template by